2001 Minutes

JanuaryFebruaryMarchMayJuly
Management

01/17/2001

Sierra Club Angeles Chapter
20s & 30s Singles Section

Management Committee Meeting Minutes - final

Date: 01/14/01
Time: 6:30 pm [start 7:00 pm - adjourn 9:00 pm]
Place: Home of Ron Domash, 10044 Debra Ave., North Hills, CA 91343
Attendance: Jeff Breakstone, Ron Domash, Fred Kleindenst, David Marsh,
Sam Ramirez, guest: emeritus James Eble

I. ANNOUNCEMENTS:

A. No Anchovies Hike' a success- 50 satisfied hikers; $88 in excess revenues.

II. APPROVAL OF DECEMBER MINUTES:

A. Delete: I.A/ Draft of the Angeles Chapter distributed

DM moves to approve December minutes as amended. FK 2ds. p/u.

III. AGENDA CHANGES:

A. FK requests addition to New Business: Newcomer meeting equipment

B. Appointment of committee positions/explanations of duties discussed prior to reports.

IV. COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS/EXPLANATIONS OF DUTIES

A. JB recommends that MC members read and become familiar with bylaws.
B. After a general group discussion as to the responsibilities of each committee position: FK moves to appoint Ron Domash as chair, David Marsh as vice-chair, Fred Kleindenst as treasurer, Jeff Breakstone as secretary, Sam Ramirez as outings chair and member at large for the 2001 Sierra Club 20s & 30s Singles Section Management Committee, with the further agreement to re-evaluate such appointments after 6 months. DM 2ds. p/u

V. REPORTS:

A. TREASURER [JE]

Account balances handed out. A DM question regarding the necessity of having a ~$28k+ balance prompts general discussion of the topic. In general it is up to the current management committee to decide how much is needed, but at the current level it provides the Section flexibility in planning events, and provides a safety net during lean years. FK and JE discuss procedures for authorizing event expenditures.

B. OUTINGS [SR]

SR has received data from Steve Han and forwarded it to Larry Urish. JB says we need someone to write cover articles for the newsletter - it could be on a variety of topics of interest to Section members, e.g., environmental news, or testimonials about events. RD is the leadership development person. We would like leaders at events to announce the upcoming April training seminar, and encourage participants to take leadership training. SR requests that he be sent a reminder by E-mail. RD emphasizes that participants should be told that becoming a leader is not difficult and should briefly explain how it is accomplished. It is agreed that we should try to encourage more leaders to collaborate on planning events.

C. MEMBERSHIP/DATABASE: [JE]

JB agreed to check our newsletters for 2000 and keep a tally as to who led, assisted or volunteered to lead events, for purposes of paring exempt leaders, who to invite to leaders banquet, who to delete. We should invite provisional leaders and volunteers. CT is collecting the mail from our P.O. box at the Federal Building in Westwood. Who is membership chair? Ed Mackeen or Dave Klein? General discussion. FK wants to streamline newcomer meeting, and to make it a whizbang' type of show.

D. CONSERVATION: DM will talk to Carol Tucker about responsibilities of conservation chair and whether she will want to continue with the position.

VI. OLD BUSINESS:

A. FINALIZE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS - done

B. BYLAWS - already distributed to management committee members and to Angeles Chapter. JB will e-mail them to FK to place them on the website.

VII. NEW BUSINESS:

A. RD agrees to be the new quartermaster. Many thanks to Jim Vollmer for many years of selfless service. We will recommend official recognition at the upcoming leaders banquet. FK moves to appoint RD quartermaster. DM 2ds; p/u
B. Leaders Banquet: We will tentatively plan for a March 11th or 18th date. JE agrees to ask Madeline to plan the event. Plan on $25-$30 cost per person. Maybe at Shanghai Red's in Marina del Rey, or Plum Tree Inn in Woodland Hills, etc.
C. Archivist. JE and JB agree to coordinate in publicizing major motions of past minutes for the purposes of educating the current Management Committee.
D. Signature Cards: Checking account needs 1 signature. Aetna Money Market Fund requires only 1 policy, however our policy requires 2 signatures. FK moves that RD, FK and JB be on signature card; DM 2ds; p/u.
E. Uniform policy on events discounts for members vs non-members. Tabled
F. Ideas for increasing membership: Advertise in LA Weekly? We have tried that in the past. Request that Ed Mackeen investigate advertising again in the L.A. Weekly. Ask how people found about various activities.
G. Angeles Chapter awards banquet coming up: $250/table. Shall we sponsor one? Tabled.
H. Newcomer meeting programs/frequency of meetings: keep the same for now: January, April, July, October.
I. Next management Committee Meeting: February 1, 2001 at 7:30 p.m. at Burton Chace Community Center. FK moves to adjourn meeting; JB 2ds; p/u

respectfully submitted by Jeffrey Breakstone ~ secretary


 

02/1/2001

Sierra Club Angeles Chapter
20s & 30s Singles Section
Management Committee Meeting Minutes - final

Date: 02/1/01
Time: 7:30 pm [start 7:45 pm - adjourn 9:00 pm]

Place: Burton Chace Community Center, Mindanao Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292

Attendance: Jeff Breakstone [secretary], Ron Domash [chair], David Marsh [vice chair]

I. ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Fred Kleindenst [treasurer] out of out of town on
business. Sam Ramirez [outings chair] traffic conditions prevented attendance.

II. APPROVAL OF JANUARY 2001 MINUTES:

A. V. C. MEMBERSHIP/DATABASE: [JE]

B. V. D. CONSERVATION: omit "[xx]"

C. VII. NEW BUSINESS: F.
Ideas for increasing membership: Advertise in L.A. Weekly? We have tried that in the past. Add- "Request that Ed Mackeen investigate advertising again in the L.A. Weekly."

D. VII. NEW BUSINESS: G. Angeles Chapter...

E. VII. NEW BUSINESS: I.
Next Management Committee Meeting: March 1, 2001 at 7:30 p.m. at Burton Chace Community Center

RD moves to approve January 2001 minutes as amended. DM 2ds. p/u.

III. AGENDA CHANGES: None

IV. REPORTS:

A. TREASURER [Fred Kleindenst] Tabled

B. OUTINGS [Sam Ramirez] Tabled.

C. MEMBERSHIP/DATABASE: Tabled.

D. CONSERVATION: David Marsh agrees to take over responsibilities as the successor of Carol Tucker. Much thanks to Carol for doing a fine job! David will confer further with Carol regarding matters of immediate concern, such as our Adopt-a-Beach' in Torrance.

E. CHAIR: [RD] Strongly urges Management Committee members to arrive at meetings at the scheduled time as a courtesy to other members.

V. OLD BUSINESS:

A. Were bylaws put on the internet? [Fred] Tabled.

B. Status of bylaws to Angeles Chapter: [JB] JB will contact Angeles Chapter to make sure the bylaws were properly lodged and there are no problems.

C. Do we need to institute a uniform policy of discounts for members vs non-members on pay events? After discussion it was decided that when the Treasurer receives proposed budgets for pay events he should just be alert to odd or exorbitant appearing fees or charges, and in such cases contact the leaders of such events for justification. The treasurer would have the power to deny approval for such reasons.

D. Leaders Banquet status [RD]: Madeline Katz-Eble working on it. Tentative dates 3/11 or 3/18. Consider moving it to April 29 because Chapter Awards Banquet on March 18? After discussion it was decided to stay with March 11.

E. Archivist [JB] JB will discuss the project with JE.

F. Were signature cards send/delivered to bank? RD to discuss matter with Fred Kleindenst.

G. Where is the slide projector? What shall we use as a replacement? Tabled.

H. Is Jeff Bock picking up the mail at our post office box? Yes.

VI. NEW BUSINESS:

A. Management Committee Meeting date/time/place must be published in the newsletter [RD] RD will e-mail message to Sam Ramirez.

B. Approve $1,100 advertising budget [RD]

RD moves to allocate up to $500 for the year 2001 for promoting membership and advertising of events of the 20s & 30s Singles Section. All such expenditures over $50 must be approved in advance by at least two members of the current 20s & 30s Singles Section Management Committee. Such approval can be made informally; DM 2ds; p/u.

C. Microsoft Word/Office for Sam Ramirez? RD will discuss with Sam.

D. Shall we reserve a $300 table for Angeles Chapter Spring Banquet (Sunday March 18); also problem of proximity to the 20s and 30s Singles Section Banquet date of March 11.

E. Shall we create a calendar/reminder of deadlines from our bylaws? DM agrees to.

F. Website problems/possibilities. We have been unable to update the site since December. Fred is working on the problem. JB will contact James Eble about the possibility of offering website applications for free 1 year memberships to this Section. The newsletter would be an additional fee. Is there anything in our bylaws that would prohibit this?

G. Update and distribute a master leaders list. Tabled.

H. Decline in membership? Participation has not declined. [See F" above].

I. Decline in the number of events planned. [Sam Ramirez] Tabled. Needs full discussion.

J. Open forum [Sam Ramirez] Tabled.

K. Next meeting: Thursday, 3/1/01, 6:30 p.m. at Burton Chace Community Center.

VII. ADJOURNMENT: RD moves to adjourn; JB 2ds; p/u

respectfully submitted by Jeffrey Breakstone ~ secretary


03/01/2001

Sierra Club Angeles Chapter
20s & 30s Singles Section
Management Committee Meeting Minutes - final

D/T: 03/1/01, 6:30 pm [start 6:40 pm - adjourn 8:55 pm]
Place: Burton Chace Community Center, Mindanao Way, Marina del Rey, CA
90292
Attendance: Jeff Breakstone [secretary], Ron Domash [chair], Sam Ramirez
[outings chair]; guest: James Eble [treasurer emeritus]

noteworthy motions
RD moves that the section allocate up to $200 to buy a stove and a pot.
FK 2nds, p/u.

I. ANNOUNCEMENTS: Dave Marsh [vice-chair] out of town on business.

II. APPROVAL OF FEBRUARY 2001 MINUTES:
FK moves to approve February 2001 minutes as presented. RD 2ds. p/u.

III. AGENDA CHANGES: FK proposes to buy digital camera for section use:
See VI. I. 3.

IV. REPORTS:
A. TREASURER: [FK] $7k in ck account; $21.5k in Aetna MM Fund. FK notes
we sent $4k from 2 cks to Mtn River Adventures by mistake. This will be
applied to total cost of trip. Also received cks from Jeff Bock
for membership, who will keep database & will send a list of members.
Received cks from David Hyman for Death Valley trip. We need to reimburse
Gary Vidor.

B. OUTINGS: [SR] Needs membership #s from Jeff Bock. RD: We need
someone to put together an updated leaders list w/each person's e-mail.
Hiking committee will only be listed for main schedule.

C. MEMBERSHIP/DATABASE: SR will establish a hiking committee.

D. CONSERVATION: [RD for Dave Marsh] DM looking into establishing
conservation committee. JE suggests an insert in the newsletter for
leaders suggesting topics that should be communicated to participants.
FK volunteers to draft an insert in the newsletter.

E. CHAIR: [RD] We need more events. He will call leaders.

V. OLD BUSINESS:
A. Were bylaws put on the website (FK); website update: Done.

B. Status of bylaws to Angeles Chapter (JB): Everything is ok.

C. Uniform Policy on Discounts for members/non-members: Tabled.

D. Leaders Banquet Status (Ron): Set for 6pm at Shanghai Red's in Marina
del Rey.

E. Archivist (Jeff): Minutes are being placed on the website.

F. Were signature cards sent/delivered to the bank? Yes

G. Slide projector: Still MIA.

H. Microsoft Word/Office for Sam: SR has ‘Wordpad', but needs more
software. SR will place request for ‘Word'/‘Office 97' in
newsletter. FK will put similar request on website. SR will look into
student version of the software.

I. Master leaders list: FK needs list. RD will contact Jeff Bock.

J. Create calendar/reminder for bylaws [DM]: Tabled.

VI. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Meetings in Newsletter (Newcomers, Management, Outings): SR agrees to
make sure these are published. RD agrees to host mailing party
3/25, 6pm, & next planning party 4/22, Sunday. JE agrees to host
5/20 mailing party, 6pm.

B. Ckbks. Do we now have them? Who will have them now? FK & JB will
each have ckg acct book. Only FK will have the Aetna Money Market
Fund.

C. Regularly scheduled planning meeting. (Outings Chair): See "A"

D. WLA WTC wants speaker. Any volunteers? For Wednesday 3/14/01, 7:30
pm

E. Awards Banquet; how many awards and to whom (make list); other
mentions; comments; check: To be discussed outside of meeting.

F. Table for Angeles Chap Spring Banquet (Sunday-3/18) - proximity to
our banquet- ready to write check. Silent auction ideas or
contribution? We'll donate 2- $50 certificates for use on our events.

G. Master Leaders List: Done.

H. Leadership Training-upcoming LTC: Flyer for leadership training,
upcoming LTC. FK will put on website. Leaders should make efforts on
events to recruit potential leaders from participants.

I. Open forum:
1. RD asks section to buy a stove for camping events. Est cost
~$200.

RD moves that the section allocate up to $200 to buy a stove and
a pot. FK 2nds, p/u.

2. RD asks that the section buy light-weight folding tables to
replace the broken ones we have. He will look into costs & report
back.

3. FK asks section to buy a digital camera. Pics can be posted on
website, used at mtgs. Est cost ~$400. Convenient source of
quality pics. Disadvantage: cost, delicateness of camera, keeping
track of who has it, & who has responsibility for it. Keep camera at
quartermaster.

4. SR calls for donation of prints of events for poster board.

J. Next meeting date: Thursday, 5/3/01, 6:30 p.m. at Burton Chace
Community Center.

VII. ADJOURNMENT: RD moves to adjourn; SR 2ds; p/u

respectfully submitted by Jeffrey Breakstone ~ secretary


05/3/2001

Sierra Club Angeles Chapter
20s & 30s Singles Section
Management Committee Meeting Minutes

D/T: 5/3/01, 6:30 pm [start 6:35 pm - adjourn 9:05 pm]
Place: Burton Chace Community Center, Mindanao Way, Marina del Rey, CA
90292
Present: Ron Domash [chair], Dave Marsh [vice-chair], Sam Ramirez [outings
chair] Jeff Breakstone [secretary]
- motions -
1/ RD moves to approve 3/1/01 minutes as presented. SR 2ds. 3-0 for, DM
abstains, motion passes.
2/ SR moves to allocate up to $110 towards the purchase of 2 Sierra Club
banners, & a plastic storage box for the newcomer meetings. RD 2ds. P/u.
3/ Being as the 20s & 30s Singles Section is losing money with each
printing, RD moves that as of June 1, 2001, all new & renewed
subscriptions to the 20s & 30s Singles Section Newsletter will be as follows:
$12/year for members of the National Sierra Club; $15/year for non-members
of the National Sierra Club. Multi-year subscriptions of up to 3 years
will be available at the new rates without discount. DM 2ds. P/u.
4/ RD moves to authorize the expenditure of up to $250 for the purchase of a
digital camera for the use of the 20s & 30s Singles Section. SR 2ds.
P/u [including Fred Kleindenst, in absentia].

I. ANNOUNCEMENTS:
A. Fred Kleindenst [treasurer] unable to attend, but provided report in
absentia.
B. [SR] Leaders David Heffernan, and David Goldstein, who also was a
long-time member of the 20s & 30s Singles Section Management Committee,
have announced they are officially dropping out of the Section. We
thank them for all the years of their contributions to our Section.

II. APPROVAL OF MARCH 2001 MINUTES:
RD moves to approve 3/1/01 minutes as presented. SR 2ds. 3-0 for, DM
abstains, motion passes.

III. AGENDA CHANGES:
A. SR requests that we check bylaws re section election dates- see
IV.E.4. SR agrees to place announcement of upcoming elections in the
June/July newsletter.
B. SR requests monies towards purchase of materials for newcomer
meetings, etc.- See IV.C.

IV. REPORTS:
A. TREASURER: [FK in absentia] $???k in ck account; $???k in Aetna MM
Fund.

B. OUTINGS: [SR] Still need updated leaders list w/e-mail addresses.
Hiking committee will only be listed for main schedule event postings.
We need more events for next newsletter. JB suggests that ‘canned'
pre-written write-ups of hikes or events be sent to all leaders by e-mail,
requesting that leaders sign on to them. This could help solve the
problem of empty dates in the newsletter.

C. MEMBERSHIP/DATABASE: [SR] SR explained that the absence of the
scheduled guest Dilip Kataria at the April newcomer meeting was due to
a calendar mix-up. He has agreed to appear at the next newcomer
meeting on July 5, but Steve Han will have a backup slide show just in case.

SR moves to allocate up to $110 towards the purchase of 2 Sierra Club
banners, & a plastic storage box for the newcomer meetings. RD 2ds. P/u.

Note: JB issued check #1601 in the amount of $60 to SR for the
purchase of 2 Sierra Club banners. He will present receipts for
reimbursement for the plastic box.

D. CONSERVATION: [DM]
1. Met with Martin Schagleter, Angeles Chapter Conservation
Coordinator re coming up with new conservation ideas. Such as:
Adopt-a-beach. Available anywhere. We would prefer Santa Monica.
We just need to fill out the paperwork; Clean-up/awareness day, such as Bolsa
Chica, Ballona Wetlands, etc; Coastal Cleanup, in September; Hand
out postcards regarding environmental issues; to be mailed to
elected officials.

2. At DM's urging, the MC supports the concept of encouraging
leaders to make reasonable efforts to promote and facilitate
recycling at events in which debris is likely to result. This would include
recycling materials on camping trips. DM will look into buying
bins for sorting paper, plastic bottles & cans.

E. CHAIR: [RD]
1. Big Sur trip is filled up.
2. Rafting trip in June needs more women. 3 hr drive to Kern River.

3. Discusses inner-city Sierra Club outing program for kids. Fun &
a good cause; encourages other leaders to get involved.
4. Would like the MC to set aside time at each MC meeting to go over
our bylaws and note important calendar dates, creating a kind of
‘operating manual' for the MC.

V. OLD BUSINESS:
A. Uniform policy on discounts for members/non members: Tabled.

B. Archivist: [JB] This year's minutes are being posted on the website
with motions placed up front. Past year's minutes are in the process
of being archived as time permits.

C. Slide Projector: Still MIA. In response to our newsletter request a
guest at our newcomer's meeting volunteered to donate his slide
projector. Ultimately he didn't appear at a newcomer's hike where he
promised to bring it, & we lost track of him. Next time make sure we get the
person's name & phone number.

D. Master Leader's List: RD & Jeff Bock are in the process of collecting
the information, including e-mail addresses for all leaders. RD also
would like to amend our event sign-in sheets to include e-mail addresses
of participants. SR will look into it.

E. Create calendar/reminder for bylaws: [DM] (See IV.E.4. above)

F. Checks- Does Jeff have checks?: [JB] Yes

VI. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Please make our meetings a priority. (Maybe Wednesday's would be
better): [RD] Keep MC meetings the same for now.

B. Listing events/conflicts: Issue resolved.

C. Fee increase for newsletter subscription - multi-year: [RD] Currently
$7/year for National Sierra Club members; $10/year for non-National
Sierra Club members. Our section is currently losing significant sums
of money with each printing of our newsletter. Proposal & discussion re
raising single year subscription rates to $12 for National Sierra Club
members, & $15 for non-members, with multi-year discounts available for
up to 3 years.

Being as the 20s & 30s Singles Section is losing money with each
printing, RD moves that as of June 1, 2001, all new & renewed
subscriptions to the 20s & 30s Singles Section Newsletter will be as follows:
$12/year for members of the National Sierra Club; $15/year for non-members
of the National Sierra Club. Multi-year subscriptions of up to 3 years
will be available at the new rates without discount. DM 2ds. P/u.

D. Pay Pal: Tabled.

E. Free registration-Web site: Tabled.

F. Newsletter Cover Story Controversy and Rebuttal: (review rebuttal)
"U.S. Government-Sponsored Religion Killing Eagles" cover story with
inflammatory language was printed in the April/May 2001 newsletter;
it was inadvertently printed without prior review of 20s&30s MC. The story
apparently provoked Jack Schwartz, an attorney holding himself out as
representing the Hopi Indian Nation, to submit a rebuttal to the
story. The MC's position is that the rebuttal, in its own way, is as
inflammatory as the original story. The MC, rather than printing the
rebuttal, will instead print the following response in the June/July
2001 newsletter:

"The MC regrets publishing the ‘U.S. Government-Sponsored Religion
Killing Eagles' cover story in the April/May 2001 newsletter. While we
do not criticize the basic intent of the article regarding the
preservation of wildlife in general, in no way did we intend to denigrate the
religious beliefs of the Hopi Indian Nation. We do assert however,
that there are valid issues regarding balancing the rights of religious
groups with the preservation of wildlife."

G. Cancel June Outings Planning Party: JB expressed disappointment that
no leaders appeared at 4/28 planning party held at RD's house except
for RD, JB, and later David Hyman. RD said that due to lack of
attendance we will hold no more planning parties until further notice.

H. Conservation involvement: (new beach site, monthly cause). (See
IV.D. 1 & 2, above).

I. Digital Camera: FK [in absentia] asks section to buy digital
camera. Pics can be posted on website, used at mtgs. Cost ~$400.
Convenient source of quality pics. Disadvantage: cost, delicateness of
camera, keeping track of who has it, & who has responsibility for it.
Keep camera at quartermaster.

RD moves to authorize the expenditure of up to $250 for the purchase of a
digital camera for the use of the 20s & 30s Singles Section. SR 2ds.
P/u [including Fred Kleindenst, in absentia]

J. Open Forum: Tabled.

K. Newcomer Meeting: SR again calls for donation of prints of events
for poster board.

L. Promotion of upcoming Events: Tabled.

M. Next meeting date: Thursday, 6/7/01, 6:30 p.m. at Burton Chace
Community Center.

VII. ADJOURNMENT: RD moves to adjourn; SR 2ds; p/u

respectfully submitted by Jeffrey Breakstone ~ secretary


07/12/2001

Sierra Club Angeles Chapter
20s & 30s Singles Section
Management Committee Meeting Minutes - final

D/T: 7/12/01, 6:30 pm [start 6:37 pm - adjourn 8:35 pm]
Place: Fred Kleindenst, 3619 Clarington Av #102, L.A. 90034-5091
Present: Ron Domash [chair], Dave Marsh [vice-chair], Sam Ramirez
[outings], Fred Kleindenst [treasurer], Jeff Breakstone
[secretary]
- motions -
1/ RD moves to approve May 2001 minutes as presented. DM 2ds. P/u
2/ RD moves to change MC Meetings to every other month. SR2ds. 3 in favor,
DM & JB against. M/passes.
3/ RD moves that the 20s&30s Singles Section discontinue providing a phone
hotline . DM 2ds. P/u

I. ANNOUNCEMENTS - Newcomer meeting went well; Section required to cancel
rock climbing event for lack of proper insurance coverage.

II. APPROVAL OF MAY MINUTES - RD moves to approve May 2001 minutes as
presented. DM 2ds. P/u

III. AGENDA CHANGES - None

IV. REPORTS
A. TREASURY [FK] Current balances: $4,500 World Savings checking
account; ~$200 petty cash/membership material; $21,000 Aetna Money
Market Fund

B. OUTINGS [SR] We've had to use events from other sections to fill up
newsletter. We continue to lack hikes, other events, while those we
have are well attended: e.g., newcomer hike had 96 people.

C. MEMBERSHIP/DATABASE [SR] - None

D. CONSERVATION[DM] Beach cleanup soon for Santa Monica.Trail
Preservation activities pending
E. CHAIR [RD] - Nothing to report

V. OLD BUSINESS
A. UNIFORM POLICY ON DISCOUNTS FOR MEMBERS/NON-MEMBERS - after
discussion, the MC decided not to impose a uniform policy.
B. ARCHIVIST [JB] Current minutes are posted to the website after
approval from the MC; minutes prior to the current administration will
be posted as part of an ongoing process.
C. SLIDE PROJECTOR [SR] Tabled
D. MASTER LEADERS LIST [DM] In the process of being completed.
E. CREATE CALENDAR/REMINDER FOR BYLAWS - DM will do
F. CHECKS - WHO HAS CHECK BOOKS? [RD] - FK and JB
G. PAY- PAL? FK will look into it.
H. CAMERA[FK]Bought digital camera $260+$40 recharger battery+$60 floppy
disk adapter

VI. NEW BUSINESS
A. Review of fee increase [RD] Figures from Larry Urish show we're l
osing $ on newsletter:
1. $450 new corporate rate + $170 postage + $40 miscellaneous fees =
$660-$700 x 6 newsletters/yr = ~$4,200 annual cost ~ 500 paying
members.
2. FK advises to keep fee increase

B. Change MC meetings to bi-monthly? [RD] JB argues that no motion is
needed because bylaws already state that the MC only needs to meet
at least once a quarter:

1.5 MEETINGS. At least one regular general meeting shall be
scheduled each calendar quarter.
Special meetings of the Section membership at large may be
called, with appropriate notice
to the membership stating time, place, and purpose, by the
Section MC and shall be called with similar notice upon
petition to the Section MC

RD moves to change MC meetings to every other month. SR 2ds. 3 in favor,
DM & JB against. M/passes.

C. Free registration - web site - email newsletter [RD] FK will look
into the possibility of setting up our website to handle these tasks.

D. Not listing events on web site? [SR] After discussion, MC decided
that this question is moot.

E. Telephone hotline - time to pull the plug? [RD] Cites lack of
interest & overwhelming popularity & usefulness of our website.
Someone will need to notify Rick Farber to record a message saying that
we are phasing it out within a month. What should we do with the multiline
phone unit.

RD moves that the 20s&30s Singles Section discontinue providing a
phone hotline . DM 2ds. P/u

F. Elections - Nominations - We need at least 7 candidates to run for 5
offices per the bylaws.
1. Proposed election committee: FK, JB, DM
2. Proposed nominating committee: RD, DM, Paul Shaffer, Mike
Dobbles, Alex Lamb.

G. Create user manual for MC members [RD] Need description of duties of
each MC member position.

H. Leadership/MC article [RD] RD agrees to write on how to become a
leader.

I. Charity event/hike [RD] City of Hope - Kelly Kennedy running
"Hike-a-thon" big event to raise $ for cancer victims; ~10 mile hike
w/sponsors. RD agrees to obtain more information on this.

J. September mailing party at DM'S home? Ok

M. New Sign-in Waiver Forms - required by Angeles Chapter; has more text
to read; is confusing.

N. Reimbursements - Will be taken care of after meeting.

O. Shall leaders be required to lead at 1 hike/year to qualify for free
newsletter and banquet invite? Moot. We already require minimum
of 2 events per year.

P. Open forum: 1/Keep leaders banquet an annual event; 2/Decide on date
and location for next meeting; 3/Approve $50 vouchers for MC
members + Larry Urish, Jeff Bock.

Q. Next newcomer meeting? October 4, 2001.

R. Promotion of upcoming events - tabled

S. NEXT MC MEETING: September 6, 2001, 6:30pm at Burton Chace Park

VII. ADJOURNMENT RD moves to adjourn; SR 2ds; p/u
respectfully submitted by Jeff Breakstone ~ secretary

 

 

Up: Top

SIERRA CLUB  

Top20s & 30s Home

ANGELES CHAPTER

Webmaster: freddo411@yahoo.com
Sierra Club is a registered trademark of the Sierra Club.
Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999 Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club. All rights reserved.