USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 10 miles northwest of Inyokern, 150 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- Forest Service: Sequoia National Forest
- USGS Topo: Owens Peak 7½, Walker Pass 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Mount Jenkins, Owens Peak, Five Fingers
- Distance: 4 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 2400'
- Time: 3-4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
- Route: All cross-country, steep most of the way
Original: Al Campbell and Paul A. Lipsohn, November 1972
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take SR 14 to Mojave.
- Continue north on SR 14 to the intersection with SR 178 (Freeman
- Continue north on SR 14 for 5.3 miles to Indian Wells Canyon Road
(dirt) on the left. This is 0.4 mile north of the Homestead Cafe. Turn
left. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 2.6 miles, Powers Well on the left. Keep straight.
- At 2.7 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 3.8 and 3.9 miles, forks. Keep left.
- At 5.2 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 5.8 miles, fork. Keep left. This is the turnoff for
- Drive about 0.5 mile to an abandoned mine (gold and tungsten).
Park here. Do not block the road.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (4840'), hike up the road past the cable.
- Keep left at the first fork and right at the second fork.
- Continue past the end
of the road into the canyon ahead.
- Continue up to the saddle at 6500'.
- Turn left, leave the trail, and go up the ridge (south) to the