** Use at Your Own Risk **
Kern County, about 3 miles south of the town of Weldon, 175 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- Forest Service: Sequoia National Forest
- Topo: Woolstalf Creek 7½, Weldon 7½
Nearby Peaks: Heald Peak
- Distance: 6 miles r.t. cross-country
- Gain: 2,000'
- Time: 5-6 hours r.t.
- Rating: Class 2; Strenous
Original: John Backus - Oct 1987
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Start at SR 178 @ Kernville Airport road junction.
- Go 0.2 miles west to Vista Grande Road and turn left. Note your
- Vista Grande @ SR 178.
- 0.0 Go south on Vista Grande.
- In 0.5 mile pavement ends at Bella Vista. Go straight.
- In 0.3 mile intersect Hill View Acres Rd. Go right.
- In 0.8 mile intersect Brooks Rd. Go left.
- Proceed on Brooks Road past "El Rancho Poco" and several
intersections to the "W" ranch.
- In 1.0 mile at the "W" ranch several roads meet. Take the
one that veers left (but not sharply).
- In 0.3 mile road comes in from sharp left. Keep straight.
- o In 0.1 mile fork. Go right.
- In 0.1 mile fork. (Turn off for Heald). Go left.
- In 0.1 mile fork. Go left.
- In 1.5 mile end of road just past a fence.
- Park here. (3950')
Note: Low slung vehicles can drive to road head with care. The roads
are very faint and may be difficult to see. Check your mileages going in
and coming out.
HIKING ROUTE 1
From the cars observe the saddle just south (right) of the summit. This
is the low point between Heald and Nicolls. Follow a trail easterly for a
short ways until you see a tree on the north side of the wide wash. Leave
the trail here and proceed northerly until you gain the wash on the north
side of the wide wash. Follow this wash until you are just SSW of the
saddle. Head up toward the saddle. At the saddle proceed north (left)
until you encounter ducks. Follow a well ducked use trail northerly,
contouring around the east side of some rocky terrain. Follow the ducks,
scrambling over or around rocky outcrops to the summit. The southernmost
summit is the high point.
This peak can be combined with Heald Peak.
See Route Two for Heald Peak.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
HPS Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 2001 - All Rights Reserved
Download the Microsoft Word Version of this Guide.