USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 15 miles east of the town of Weldon, 150 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- Forest Service: Sequoia National Forest
- USGS Topo: Walker Pass 7½, Owens Peak 7½, Horse Canyon 7½ (Route 2)
explanation of usage
- Distance: 3.6 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 2200'
- Time: 3-4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 2, moderate
Original: Jim T. Carriel, June 1982
DRIVING ROUTE 2
(High Clearance Vehicle required)
- At the SR 14/178 junction described in Driving Route 1, go south on
SR 14 for 4.5 miles to a dirt road on the right. Some maps identify this
point as "Armistead". Turn right. Note your odometer and go as
- At 1.2 miles, fork. Go left.
- At 1.8 miles, forks. Go right.
- At 2.0 miles, 4-way fork. Take the second one from the left.
- At 2.4 miles, junction. Keep straight.
- At 3.8 miles, junction. Turn left.
- At 5.0 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 7.6 miles, a water trough on the right.
- At 8.2 miles, a wide area. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (5150'), hike northwest toward the smooth ridge of
- Aim toward the lower end of a rock outcrop on the upper
portion of the ridge. The terrain is steep and sandy.
- Once on the ridge,
turn right and follow it up to the summit keeping to the left of the