USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 18 miles southeast of Lake Isabella, 160 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- Forest Service: Sequoia National Forest
- USGS Topo: Claraville 7½
- HPS: Not yet available
Nearby Peaks: Bald Eagle Peak, Piute Lookout,
- Distance: 3/4 mile round trip cross-country
- Gain: 400'
- Time: 1 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy, class 2 near summit
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Cliff Black, October 1972
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From Mojave, go north on SR 14 for 19.5 miles to Jawbone Canyon Road
on the left. Turn left, note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 6.2 miles, fork. This is the parking area for Cross
Mountain. Turn right.
- At 14.7 miles, saddle. This is the parking area for Butterbredt
- At 17.9 miles, a fork, keep to the right.
- At 18.2 miles, fork. Turn right on the Kelso Valley Road.
- At 26.3 miles, fork with Piute Mountain Road on the left, turn left.
- At 33.6 miles, sign reading "Sorrell Peak 4 miles" with a
road joining from the left (east). Turn left and reset your odometer.
- At 0.4 mile, a fork, keep to the right.
- Keep on the main road ignoring any forks until you get to a small
parking area (7300') at 4.1 miles on the right. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- The rocky summit is visible from here through the trees to the east.
- Hike up the slope heading for the ridge just to the left of the peak.
right and head up to the peak keeping to the left of the rocks. The
register will be on the first prominent high point.