USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 22 miles north of Mojave, 140 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- USGS Topo: Pinyon Mtn 7½, Cross Mountain 7½
explanation of usage
- Distance: 2.7 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 1200'
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: John Backus, March 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From Mojave drive north on SR 14 for 19.5 miles to Jawbone Canyon
Road on the left. Turn left. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 4.1 miles, pavement ends.
- At 6.3 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 11.9 miles, fork to the right. Keep straight.
- At 13.8 miles, the road turns west and goes over a saddle.
- At 15.1 miles, the road goes over another saddle. This is Hoffman
Summit. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (4846'), ascend the ridge to the northeast,
staying to the right (southeast) of rocky outcrops up to the summit.