USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 5 miles east of Weldon, 175 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- Forest Service: Sequoia National Forest
- USGS Topo: Woolstalf Creek 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Nicolls Peak
- Distance: 10 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 3500'
- Time: 7-8 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Brush: Very heavy brush
Original: Paul A. Lipsohn and Dick Akawie, August 1974
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Start at SR 178 and Kernville Airport Road junction.
- Go 0.2 mile west to Vista Grande Road and turn left.
- Low slung vehicles can drive to parking area with care. Mark
odometers at Vista Grande and SR 178.
- Go south on Vista Grande.
- In 0.5 mile, pavement ends at Bella Vista. Go straight.
- In 0.3 mile, intersect Hill View Acres Road. Go right.
- In 0.8 mile, intersect Brooks Road. Go left.
- Proceed on Brooks Road past "El Rancho Poco" and several
intersections to the "W" ranch.
- In 1.0 mile, just before the "W" ranch, several roads meet.
- Take the
one that veers left (but not sharply).
- In 0.3 mile, road comes in from sharp left. Keep straight.
- In 0.1 mile, fork. Go right.
- In 0.1 mile, fork. Go right 1/4 mile or less until you see a
road going down to a wash on the right.
Note: The roads are very faint and may be difficult to see. Check
your mileages going in and coming out.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (3412'), go across the wash and pick up the road
on the other side.
- Hike up it 1/3 mile to a gate marking the National
Forest Boundary. Continue up the road 400' farther to the junction with
trail 34E15 to the right, at a sign "Dry Meadow - 4".
- Follow the
trail about 3 miles to elevation 6500', on the ridge southwest from Heald.
- Leave the trail here and go east, contouring around the north side of
elevation 6850'+ to get on the ridge going to the east from
elevation 6850'. The
thick brush in the area before the ridge cannot be avoided.
- Continue east
along the ridge to the saddle at 6160'+. The very heavy brush on this
ridge can be circumvented on the right (south). Then hike northwest and
north along the ridge to the summit.