USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 13 miles south of Inyokern, about 124 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- USGS Topo: Garlock 7½
explanation of usage
- Distance: 4 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1450' total, 1300' out plus 150' on return
- Time: 4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Joe Young
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From Mojave, go north on SR 14 for 20.7 miles to the Randsburg Road
on the right. Turn right.
- Go east on the Randsburg Road 11.1 miles to a dirt road on the left at
some white drums. This is Mesquite Canyon Road (signed EP 100). Turn
left (north). This junction is 1.1 miles west of the junction of the
Garlock Road and the Randsburg Road. Note your odometer and go as
- At 4.0 miles, junction. Go straight (downhill) continuing on EP
- At 4.2 miles, a fork, go right on EP 15/26.
- At 5.3 miles, a parking area on the left were an old jeep road has
been blocked. Park here. 2WD usually OK to this point.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- The parking area is just east of Colorado Camp (3940').
- Hike northwest
up a broad ridge past a rainwater collector to high point 4283'.
- From here
descend to the saddle on the north side of this bump.
- Hike up to the gully
just west of elevation 4546'. Go up to the top of this gully and enter
another gully above. Continue up this gully passing a field of boulders
on the left and up to the saddle just southwest of the crater at
- Hike northwest up to the top of the ridge.
- Turn right and follow this
ridge up to the summit. Alternatively, it is possible to hike down through
the crater and up to the saddle on the northeast side. Turn left and
follow a use trail up the ridge to the summit.