USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 15 miles west of Frazier Park, 90 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- Forest Service: Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts
- USGS Topo: Eagle Rest 7½, Sawmill Mountain 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Sawmill Mountain, Mount Pinos, Cerro Noroeste
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 2 1/2 miles round trip on trail and cross-country from
- Gain: 700' total, 300' out plus 400' on return
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
Original: John Backus, July 1982
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive north on I-5 to the Frazier Park exit. Turn left (west). Note
your odometer and go as follows:
- At 7.2 miles, Lake of the Woods. Here, the Lockwood Valley Road forks
left and the Cuddy Valley Road goes straight. Keep straight.
- At 5.3 miles, junction with Mount Pinos Road (straight) and the Mil
Potrero Road (right). Go straight on the Mount Pinos Road.
- At 13.9 miles, a large paved parking area and a road with a gate
continuing farther on the left side. If the gate is open,
continue 1 1/2
miles farther to the summit of Mount Pinos. If
the gate is locked, park here and hike up to the summit of
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the summit of Mount Pinos, take the ridge
trail 21W03 down into the saddle to the west.
- From the saddle,
the trail goes up the east side of Sawmill and along the south side of the
summit ridge. Where the trail begins to go downhill is the turnoff
for Sawmill Mountain.
- Continue west on the ridge trail 21W03 to a
junction in a shallow saddle 1/4 mile farther, where there is a sign
'Sheep Camp 1/2'.
- Keep to the right and continue to a saddle 1/4
mile farther; then ascend due west to the top of a low ridge, turn left
(south) and follow the ridge to the summit, which is the southern bump.