USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 15 miles west of Frazier Park, 90 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- Forest Service: Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts
- USGS Topo: Eagle Rest 7½, Sawmill Mountain 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Sawmill Mountain, Mount Pinos, Cerro Noroeste
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 5 miles round trip on trail and cross-country from
- Gain: 1700' total, 1000' out plus 700' on return
- Time: 2-3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
Original: John Backus, July 1982
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Go north on I-5 to the Frazier Park exit.
- Go west 7.2 miles past Frazier Park and on to Lake of the Woods.
- Keep straight here and go
5.3 miles farther to the junction with Mil Potrero Road. Turn
right. Note odometer and go as follows:
- At 8.3 miles, highway junction and a ranger station at Apache Saddle.
- At 16 miles, a circle road at the campground on the summit. Park at
the south end of the circle near a restroom.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (8280'), hike back down the road to trail 21W03
on the left side. (It may be possible to park here.)
- Take the trail
east down to a saddle marked Puerta Del Suelo (7618') on the topo.
- Continue southeast up the ridge to its high point at 8500'+.
south and follow the ridge up to the summit.