USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Santa Barbara County, about 8 miles west-southwest of New Cuyama, 175 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Santa Barbara County
- Forest Service: Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts
- USGS Topo: Peak Mountain 7½, Bates Canyon 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Peak Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 8 miles round trip
- Gain: 2800'
- Time: 5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: John Backus
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive north on I-5 past the Grapevine, to the SR 166 off-ramp.
Turn left (west).
- Follow SR 166 about 46 miles to the town of New Cuyama. New Cuyama
may also be reached by a shorter but slower route by driving north from
Ventura through Ojai on SR 33, and then west on SR 166.
- From New Cuyama, drive west on SR 166 for 2.8 miles to Aliso County
Park Road (paved). Turn left.
- Follow signs about 6 miles to Aliso County Park (campground, no fee).
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the campground (2880'), hike up the trail which starts up the
ridge on the west side (not shown on the topo). It goes southwest along
the ridge to join the McPherson Peak Trail, shown on the topo,
- Follow this trail to the summit.