USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Santa Barbara County, about 13 miles northwest of Ojai, 90 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Santa Barbara County
- Forest Service: Los Padres National Forest: Mt. Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts
- USGS Topo:
- Route 1 - Old Man Mountain 7½
- Route 2 - Old Man Mountain 7½, White Ledge Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Monte Arido
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 20 miles round trip on trail, road, and cross-country
- Gain: 5100' total, 4500' out plus 600' on return
- Time: 9-10 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Warren E. von Pertz and Al Campbell, 1967
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take the US 101 freeway to Ventura.
- Go north on SR 33 to Ojai.
- From the intersection of SR 33 and SR 150 in Ojai, go north on SR 33
for 5.2 miles to a paved road on the left to Matilija Lake. Turn left.
- Go west 5.0 miles to a locked gate. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (1540'), hike up the road past the gate.
some houses, a small stream crossing, and then a larger one. A short
distance past this crossing is a trailhead on the right. Continue on the
road to another trailhead on the left with a sign "Murietta Canyon
- Turn left (south) on this trail and follow it about two
miles to where it meets a road.
- Turn left (west) on this road and continue
about 3 miles to a saddle. This is Murrieta Divide.
- Turn sharp right
(north) and continue up the road about 4 miles to where the road crosses
the ridge coming southwest down from the west summit of Old Man Mountain.
- Go northeast up this ridge and then contour left to a saddle (5300').
- Turn right and go east up to the summit.
This southwest ridge is
likely to be extremely brushy. An alternative is to hike about another 1.2
miles along the road and go up the north ridge as in Route 1.