USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Ventura County, about 11 miles southwest of Frazier Park, 83 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Ventura County, Los Angeles and Vicinity
- Forest Service: Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts
- USGS Topo: Lockwood Valley 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: San Guillermo Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 5.5 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 1200'
- Time: 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Paul A. Lipsohn, July 1974
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-5 north past Gorman to the Frazier Park turnoff.
- Go west on Frazier Park Mountain Road for 7 miles to the junction
with the Lockwood Valley Road in Lake of the Woods. Turn left.
- Go 10.5 miles on the Lockwood Valley Road to the Mutau Road (7N03)
on the left with a sign "Pine Springs CG". Turn left. Note
your odometer and go as follows:
- At 2.1 miles, Piano Box Road on the left. Turn left.
- At 3.1 miles, fork. Go left.
- At 3.5 miles, a parking area just
before the road goes down steeply into a wash. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5500'), hike down the road, cross a creek bed and
continue on to its intersection with the Yellow Jacket Trail (20W04).
left and hike north on the Yellow Jacket Trail past a series of meadows
and past a 1-mile and a 2-mile paddle marker. Continue about 200 yards
past the 2-mile paddle marker to where the road starts gently downhill.
There may be a large duck on the right.
- Turn right, leave the trail, and
go up the slope to the southeast and enter a prominent gully. There should
be a faint use trail in the gully. Ascend this gully to where it begins to
level off, not far below the saddle. About 50 yards below the saddle there
is a clipped use trail with ducks that leads to the summit.