USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Ventura County, about 10 miles southwest of Gorman, 77 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Ventura County
- Forest Service: Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts
- USGS Topo: Alamo Mountain 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: McDonald Peak, Sewart Mountain, Snowy Peak, Black Mountain #2, Cobblestone Mountain, White Mountain #2
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 2 miles round trip cross-country through forest
- Gain: 450'
- Time: 1 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Tom Hill, June 2001
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Go north on I-5 to the town of Gorman. Get off on the signed Gorman
- Turn left at the bottom of the off-ramp and go under the freeway.
- Go 0.1 mile to Peace Valley Road. Turn right.
- Go 1 mile to the entrance to Hungry Valley Recreation Area on your
left (paved). Turn left. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 0.2 miles, entrance station. If manned,
avoid payment of the fee by telling the State Park employee that you are
passing through to Alamo Mountain.
- At 5.2 miles, intersection. Turn right (west) toward "Piru Creek",
- At 11.4 miles, Piru Creek crossing. There is a seasonal gate just
before this stream crossing.
- At 13.4 miles, the pavement ends.
- At 17.8 miles, fork to the left. Keep right.
- At 17.9 miles, junction with the Alamo Mountain Road. Turn left.
Note your odometer again and go as follows:
- At 3.3 miles, fork immediately beyond a small road cut through the
ridge. Turn right.
- At 4.5 miles, the road reaches its highest point at a shallow ridge
south of the peak. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area at the shallow ridge (7020'), hike north along
the crest of a gentle ridge, keeping the western drop off visible to your
left to simplify navigation in this easy terrain.
- After passing over a
couple of small bumps the steeper summit area becomes visible. The
register is found on a small rocky outcrop north of the more dramatic rock
structures, and is the easternmost of the two highest summit bumps.