USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Ventura County, about 6 miles northeast of Ojai, 107 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Ventura County
- Forest Service: Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts
- USGS Topo: Lion Canyon 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Topatopa Bluff, Hines Peak
(Special Permit and
USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 1 mile round trip cross-country
- Gain: 400'
- Time: 1 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, November 1967
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take US 101 and SR 33 to the town of Ojai.
- From the intersection of SR 150 and SR 33 in Ojai, go north on
SR 33 for 14.7 miles to a road on the right signed "Rose Valley -
4". Turn right.
- Go 3.1 miles to a fork on the right with a sign "Rose Valley
Campground - 1/2". Turn right.
- Drive into the campground. There is a road with a locked gate on the
west side of the campground. Use the combination supplied with your
permit to unlock the gate and lock it behind you. Note your odometer and
go as follows:
- At 2.2 miles, junction with the Nordhoff Ridge Road (22W15). Turn
- At 3.5 miles, pass through a wire gate.
- At 3.9 miles a saddle with a duck on the south side. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- Leave the road on the right side and follow a faint use trail up the
- Go over elevation 5471' and down into a saddle.
- Then follow a ducked
route around the right side of the ridge and then left up to the summit.