USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Ventura County, about 11 miles east-northeast of Ojai, 82 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Ventura County
- Forest Service: Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts
- USGS Topo: Santa Paula Peak 7½, Topatopa Mountians 7½, Ojai 7½, Lion Canyon 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Chief Peak, Hines Peak
(Special Permit and USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 1.5 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1100'
- Time: 1-1 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Frank Dobos, December 1993
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take US 101 and SR 33 to the town of Ojai.
- From the intersection of SR 150 and SR 33 in Ojai, go north on SR
33 for 14.7 miles to a road on the right signed "Rose Valley - 4".
- Go 3.1 miles to a fork on the right with a sign "Rose Valley
Campground - 1/2". Turn right.
- Drive into the campground. There is a road with a locked gate on the
west side of the campground. Use the combination supplied with your
permit to unlock the gate and lock it behind you. Note your odometer and
go as follows:
- At 2.2 miles, junction with the Nordhoff Ridge Road (22W15). Turn
- At 3.9 miles a saddle with a duck on the south side. This is the
parking spot for Chief Peak.
- At 7.2 miles, fork with a 4X4 post. Keep left.
- At 8.4 miles, a sign "Trail 22W08" and road forks. Take the
righthand one of the two forks on the left.
- At 10.3 miles, a permanent barrier. Park 200 yards before this point.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area, hike east up the west ridge, following a use
trail and firebreak to the benchmarked summit.